Are you ready to commence a career in construction?
Quantity Surveying Degree Apprenticeship
So, where better than to join Tilbury Douglas! We are a reputable leading UK building, infrastructure, engineering and fit out company and can offer both exciting and varied projects providing the perfect opportunity for you to fulfil your career ambitions within construction!
The things that make us different make us stronger, which is why diversity is plays such a key role in Tilbury Douglas. An inclusive culture drives business success and benefits everyone. We know by introducing a diverse workforce, new ways of thinking, innovative approaches which have not yet been explored will be introduced and everyone makes a difference including you! We invest in our people, their health and wellbeing are integral to what we do. Working at Tilbury Douglas is a rewarding environment. It is our people who make Tilbury Douglas a success, and you can join us and be part of building a better future!
Location - Exeter - Working with the Regional Building Team - South West
Over a 5-year period (this does not include EPA period), we provide bespoke training for our Quantity Surveyors of the future along with on-the-job mentoring and learning. When not being fully supported on a site/office you will attend a local college or apprenticeship provider.
Quantity surveyors assist in the management of costs relating to construction projects to ensure overall financial success of a project. They calculate the amount and cost of materials needed for building work and are responsible for the financial management of a number of sub-contractors (e.g. bricklayers, scaffolders, ground workers etc.) across a construction project and manage the contractual/legal elements of a project.
What you will be doing:
- Participate in the analysis, preparation, and management of all costs, from initial cost assessments through to project completion
- Selection and management of suppliers and sub-contractors
- Become an expert in contracts, financial management and contract law
- Assist with the monthly/quarterly compilation of data to monitor the performance of the project
- To meet with other professionals, clients, customers and others to obtain and provide information relating to land, property or construction
- To undertake costings and/or measurements and/or valuations using data collected from research
- the buying of materials and services from smaller companies
- the monitoring and management of these smaller companies to ensure that goods are delivered and work is completed on time
- To ensure requests for payment are made on time and on a regular basis to the business for whom we are working and that these payments are received and payments to smaller companies are made promptly
What you will be studying
You will study towards a Level 6 Chartered Quantity Surveyor Degree achieved through a combination of college work and gathering work-based experience and evidence.
- Level 6 - A minimum of 3 A levels at Grade C or higher, a T level (or their equivalent)
- or; BTEC National Diploma or; Access to HE qualifications with 24 Distinctions 21 Merits or;
- Or a level 3 Apprenticeship in an appropriate discipline (such as a Surveying Technician apprenticeship) or equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 128 UCAS points.
What you can bring
- Have a genuine interest and passion for pursuing a career within Construction
- Goal orientated
- Highly organised
- Strong people skills
- Strong numeracy skills and the ability to learn sophisticated design and costing IT packages
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings (with training)
- Ability to write clear and precise reports and to relate complex information simply to a diverse range of people
- Ability to work in a multi-functional and dynamic team environment assisting with the smooth running of a variety of projects
- Self-motivated with the enthusiasm to learn and develop
- Ability to take responsibility and be accountable
- Attention to detail with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Practical and logical qualities with a methodical way of thinking
- Creative and innovative approach to problem-solving
- Strong communication skills
What we can offer you
- Salary £24,500 per annum
- 26 days annual leave (with the opportunity to buy or sell up to 3 days holiday)
- Private medical insurance for yourself (with the option to buy family cover)
- Life Assurance
- Company pension scheme matched up to 8%
- 2 days volunteering opportunities
- Flexible and Agile working (dependent on your role)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Flexible Benefits scheme which includes the opportunity to purchase benefits such as:
- Critical illness insurance (with option to purchase for your partner)
- Dental Insurance
- Travel insurance
- Bike to work scheme
- Retail vouchers/payroll giving/activity pass for top leisure attraction
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- To become a fully qualified Quantity Surveyor, Commercial Manager
- Extend your qualifications by undertaking your professional qualifications and becoming chartered with the Royal Chartered Institute of Surveyors (RICS).
How do I apply?
Click Apply to register your details and start your application journey!
Recruitment Process & Timetable
Closing Date for Applications -9th February 2024
Start Date - September 2024
1st Stage - If you are successful, you will be invited to complete a series of Assessments comprising of Numerical & Verbal Reasoning & Strengths Questionnaire
2nd Stage - If you are successful, you will be invited to take part in a Video Interview
If you are successful, you will be invited to a face-to-face interview with the Hiring Manager